Business Unit: Ogilvy Public Relations
Department: Account Management
Location: Johannesburg, GP
Fast pace consumer brand experience essential.
An account executive should be a capable communications and public relations professional able to handle a broad variety of tasks with increasing independence and sound judgment.
An account executive has the ability and experience to play a primary implementation role in client work. He/she must have basic public relations, writing, media, organisational, research and production skills, be able to handle direct client contact and have the potential to become a good programme developer, presenter and counsellor.
An account executive meets all responsibilities and expectations of an assistant account executive and:
- Performs day-to-day account work which may include: drafting a wide range of written materials, coordinating events, maintaining client and media contact, managing projects performed with and by others and supervising more junior staff.
- Is fully familiar with the team’s communications plans for accounts and understands and tracks clients’ businesses.
- Acts as a liaison between client, outside suppliers (graphic designers, photographers, A/V houses, etc.) and, as appropriate, other internal and external audiences (e.g., employees, media, interest groups).
- Interacts with client contacts and others in a professional, positive and appropriate manner.
- Is gaining knowledge of the full range of resources available throughout the company.
- Is generally familiar with work of other account teams, other offices and operating units.
- Pursues opportunities for enhancing involvement and contributions to the account, team and agency.
- Implements events such as press conferences, media briefings, analyst meetings, media tours third party advocacy, etc.
- Demonstrates competence at using internal and external research capabilities and in preparing analyses and proposals.
- Has sound working knowledge of graphics, production and printing, video and broadcast, IT and emerging media.
- Is building presentation skills.
- Contributes to presentations using internal or external resources.
- Balances work load and tasks, communicating effectively with team members to reliably implement assignments on budget and on deadline.
- Exemplifies solid teamwork capabilities while beginning to build supervisory skills.
- Begins to build and apply specialised expertise in particular subject or functional areas.
- Executes media and advocacy relations activities and has working knowledge of media, advocates and their needs.
- Routinely applies understanding of budget development and budget monitoring.
- Contributes to budget development.
- Understands and manages billing and activity reporting processes.
- Completes timesheets daily and otherwise acts in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Manages time for optimum productivity and maximum billability.
- Meets billability targets established for the account executive position.
- Contributes to the development and presentation of new business programmes for potential and existing clients.
- Is gaining ability to conceptualise programme strategies, elements and implementation tactics.
- Supports opportunities to grow existing accounts or to pursue new business.
- Contributes informed suggestions, as well as creative and effective answers to client issues and needs.
Initiative and general management
- Is familiar with, and supports achievement of, the company’s vision and exemplifies the company’s values.
- Demonstrates initiative in identifying and proposing enhanced ways to advance team, group, agency and client interests.
- Operates with a high degree of independence, but knows when to rely on own judgment and when to seek advice of supervisor and other team members.
- Applies sound judgment in anticipating and taking action to avoid many workplace and client issues and problems.
- Recommends solutions when problems arise.
- Assists peers in problem solving.
- Uses talents of colleagues in own problem solving.
- Proactively seeks and shares information with colleagues and clients.
- Participates actively in team, staff and client meetings.
- Displays work ethic and values of the firm in day-to-day behaviour.
- Takes initiative in building skills and knowledge and otherwise increasing her/his value to the agency and to clients.
- Increasingly demonstrates ability to manage agency and client resources: people, time and money.
- Works with supervisor to identify and address training, education and skill-building needs
- Continually seeks new ways to learn and improve.
- Exhibits a sense of curiosity about client work and seeks more information and knowledge in response.
Ogilvy & Mather South Africa is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, colour, creed, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, age, citizenship, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, sexual orientation or because of gender identity or expression.